Welcome to my second Outdoor Wednesday as usual our hostess is Susan at 'A Southern Daydreamer' after reading my post, head on over and see more!
Hey guys, I had a doozy of a weekend and right out of the blue! My husband's sister and her husband and kids visited on Saturday evening on their way to view giant leather back turtles that come to our shores during March to May to lay their eggs in the sand.
I always wanted to see it but never made the time, then hubby suggested that we tag along, they (the in-laws) had packed a tent, and told us there would be room in the tent for everyone, so I pushed all thought of my weekend responsibilities out of my housewife's head and decided what the hell!? Let's go!
I always wanted to see it but never made the time, then hubby suggested that we tag along, they (the in-laws) had packed a tent, and told us there would be room in the tent for everyone, so I pushed all thought of my weekend responsibilities out of my housewife's head and decided what the hell!? Let's go!
My MIL (80yrs) decided she wanted to go as well, what a sense of adventure)
After hurriedly packing we were off, we picked a few coconuts from our tree, you know, to go with the rum,................ after the kids fall asleep.
We left home about 7pm and drove for a hour and a half, the turtles usually show up between the hours of midnight and 4am, yup it was gonna be a looooong night!
Kiddies played in the sand
The played in the tent!
I do not know where they got the energy, but they played until well after midnight! I went in to the tent and took a short nap, my BIL, took a walk along the beach to look for turtles, he hurried back and said that one is on the sand right now!! I was soooo exited, I began jumping up and down with the kiddies!
Just as we zipped up the tent, and headed off, a heavy shower came down! we hurried back into the tent, but it was just a passing cloud, thank goodness!!
With camera in hand and kids in tow we set off along the beach, ..............................
...............and there it was in all it' glory the magnificent, ancient, beautiful, Leather back Turtle!! Oh bloggers we were just in time! she had just come up to the beach and was digging a hole with her back fins, she dug and dug and dug for about 10 mins and then settled over the hole and the eggs began falling out of her, it was amazing to witness!!
Here she is, I was told that she is actually small compared to some that come up, there are leather backs as big as sedans!
These two photos were taken before she started digging, I really did not want to disturb her with my annoying flash from my camera so I just took these two.
One sad thing though, apparently where this turtle chose to lay her eggs, there were already eggs buried there, so , while digging she unearthed a few eggs and even some baby turtles, one of the eggs landed at my feet so I took it away from where this turtle was and snapped away! It is amazing how perfectly round the eggs are
After the excitement of viewing 3 turtles, especially exiting was to see them actually come ashore! we settled the kids into the tent to sleep, mind you, this is 330 am!
At this time we busted out the coconut water and we had one or two drinks, under the stars, kiddies asleep and we just 'limed'.
We too settled in about 430am, the next morning Keith had to go to work, we got up at 7am, and bundled a sleeping Gabby and granny into the truck, Isaiah asked to stay and how could we refuse, it was just so pretty there in the morning!! Here are some shots of the beach in the early morning
Gabby and granny all bundled up to go home

36 comments:
Oh, that is just WAY too cool!! Hubby's aunt (who lives in Port of Spain) goes camping every year, and I think they go to see these turtles! What area was that if you don't mind me asking?
WOW!! Raxx, this is so exciting, I would have been jumping up and down too, how beautiful those turtles are and what a beautiful part of the world you live in. A wonderful family night out and great memories for the little ones. Thank you for the bday wishes for Hayley she is going back to my blog to see your comment, I must tell her to come and see the turtles she is a huge dolphin fan and will also love seeing these turtles, hope you have a wonderful week, hugs, Kathy.
next time come pick me up, would love to see that, did i hear you say rum and coconut water
Lacia, the turtles use almost every beach on the North East Coast from Manzanilla to Matelot! about 45km apart! We went to 'Sans-Souci' which is just after Toco beach.
Mama it was exiting! Isnt the beach lovely in the morning, we had so much fun we decided to back this weekend as well! This time with BBQ pit and toys for the kids not that they missed it this time.
Anonymous, (if that is your real name) lol, you are so invited, and yes it was rum and coconut water!
Raxx, I would have LOVED to be there to see that turtle!!!
You know, ten years from now, probably even one year from now, NO ONE will remember the housework you left behind, but ALL of you will ALWAYS have this wonderful memory of a special family time.
You made the BEST decision.
Raquel that was cool, I remember my father taking us to Mayaro in the summer and visiting my cousins in Cedros. Have beent to Toco to visit a cousin who once lived there and Manzanilla where there are mosquitos as big as bats LOL. You know it is only in Tnt that coconut water is used as a chaser. Dem Bajes here don't know nuttting like dat!
BTW I bought my adirondack chairs on Amazon they were reasonably priced around $55.00 USD until they got here. Customs those as# Ho$*'s were not too kind....SOBS. There must be someone making them in TnT in fact I think I heard of a fellow in Diego Martin making them. Someone in Barbados told me that now it is to remember who told me.... this is a a senior moment. If I find the name of the person I will let you know.
What a truly unique excursion and a memory to be shared. Thank you for taking us along. Hugs
-Brenda-
On Ft. Myers Beach, they won't let anyone use flash cameras or even turn on their beach-front outdoor lights during the egg-laying season. Turtles get confused and move toward the light.
how exciting to see those turtles!!! and your weekend sounds like a lot of fun!
So, so cool! And even more fun 'cuz you flew by the seat of your pants! Thanks for sharing this really cool adventure with us! ~ Robyn
WOW~ what an adventure. The turtles are amazing~ my daughter loves turtle...even collects them ( not the real ones...lol. ) anything turtles, necklaces, belt buckles, figurines etc.
The beach in the morning is stunning~ I wouldn't want to leave. :) Looks like a great time was had by all!
Hugs~ J
I would love to do this ,and hubby would too! Great post. Kathy
Hi sweet lil Raxx...oh my, what a great adventure this was...thank you for thinking of taking pictures for all of us who couldn't be there... Your MIL is 80???..way to go Grandma!
I hope to be back to regular blogging after our trip...see ya later, ;-) Bo
well hey girl, yes we do have lots of friends in common, Jill, Justine, and my special little sis Donna, she BTW, calls me sugar cookie and I call her gingersnap!! LOL!! You look around all you want and please come by anytime OK!! xo
Oh wow, this must have been the most amazing experience!!!!! Madison just learned about the leather back turtles last week in school, and when she told me they could get up to 3 yards across, I didn't believe her!
Justine :o )
Hi Sweetie! Oh, what a wonderful time you must have had! I just loved all those pix of the children. They are so precious! I've never even heard of a leather back turtle and how special you were able to see one and show us!
That is amazing that you dreamed about that big ole house! Oh, it needs a family doesn't it?
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Hi!
Awesome Trip!! What a wonderful trip to take and witness the turtles! Thanks for taking me along with you! Have a great day!!
Sherrie
Good morning my friend, thank you for the sweetest comments, everyone says Stephen and I have exactly the same face haha, he does seem to be quite lucky in life so you must be right :-), your little ones are adorable and your son does look a lot like you.
Raxx I am so excited we are going to Willemstad. ages and ages ago hubby bid on a cruise at a charity auction and won YIKES!, we had to make our minds up between Mexico or Curacao and Aruba. so we chose Curacao/Aruba. I have never been to your part of the world before and cant tell you how much I am looking forward to it, can barely wait until Oct.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend with the turtles on that gorgeous beach of yours, hugs, Kathy.
What a wonderful trip. I loved the putting up the tent pictures, it looks like the kids had a blast. I am amazed at the turtle picture, I don't think I have ever seen such a sight. Have a great day!
Wow what an amazing adventure! I have seen the turtles do this on a documentary on TV, but how totally cool to see it in person! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I just read thru several of your posts and wow your job looks so interesting! And that cruise ship was really awesome! I will be back to check in! Sue
Happy Outdoor Wednesday Raquel! Oh my...sounds like a wonderful trip! The turtles a re amazing! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan
I just gave you an award over at my blog, just because I LOVE coming here to visit you - - - ABSOLUTELY no strings attached!!!
http://keethastuff.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovely-blog-award.html
Hi Raquel,
What a wonderful adventure you all had, and what wonderful memories you all will be able to share in years to come. Thank you for sharing.
Sue
Now that was worth a long trip and lost sleep. The kids will remember it for a long time to come.
Raquel, I'm so happy that you signed on with us. That is the most amazing picture of that turtle! WOW! What an experience for those cute little ones, too!
Happy Outdoor Wednesday...
XO,
Sheila :-)
oh so pretty...love your pictures!
i would have been jumping with you, too!
Spontaneous fun!!! Great photos!
I love the sunrise on the beach.
The kids will never forget this one.
What at excited you must of been to see these turtles. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time. I wonder what will happen to that egg? Happy outdoor Wednesday
What a cool adventure. I wouldn't have wanted to miss that! I love turtles...and that kind of thing would just thrill me! Thanks for bringing us along!
I love that you are having such fun in your garden this year! Iris's are easy to grow...around here they are a little like a weed...they spread and multiply and don't seem to care where you plant them!
What an adventure! And how great that your entire family got to share the excitement. When we vacation on the Gulf coast in Florida, it is usually during turtle season. We have seen nests and even the drag marks, but have never been blessed to see the turtles themselves. And they make you turn off any lights on the beach side so as not to confuse any hatchlings. Your beach is beautiful, thanks for sharing these. Kathy
What a neat camping trip! I have never seen a turtle like that. How cool!!!!! I've seen some sea turtles on the beach at nesting time in Hawaii but they were much different from that leatherback.
i am not presently blogging, but beautiful kids...you are so blessed, and you got to see pres o also
That is so amazing to be able to witness something like that! Wow! What a great adventure and it looks like your kids had a terrific time as well. I can just imagine a beautiful night like that on the beach, having drinks on the beach as the children sleep. Sure sounds like my idea of heaven!
Kady
WAYYYY TO GOOOOO! This was an amazing post! The pics are great too. I went turtle watching in 1999. Took my class to that beach in a maxi taxi and limed with some other teachers. When I went there were like regulatory people there, natureseekers inc. They did not really let anyone use flash cameras or get too close with the headlights. Were they still in action? Were the turtles protected at all or were you guys free to roam? Great post and I have to go back there. Go mama! She is such a limer. And the kids looked so precious...asleep. sadee.
Hey Saids, no, there were no regulatory persons on this particular beach, it was not one of the most popular beaches for turtle veiwing which made it great for us!
But something told me that the flash would somehow obstruct the turtles although she seemed unaffected I took no more photos of her and none of the others.
It really was fantastic fun overnighting there for hte kids especially, Isaiah loooves waking up anywhere near the beach.
Post a Comment